Bluestones staffing is working with a leading manufacturing site in Dungannon, they have a requirement for 3 permanent Shunter Drivers.
Main Purpose of the job
The Shunter Driver is part of a team responsible for maintaining the supply of birds to the production lines following correct planning and procedures with direction from the Lairage Intake Officer. The Shunter Driver is a member of a team, reporting through the Process 1 OTLS and Production Manager.
- To maintain the flow of trailers within the Dungannon Factory to ensure the continuity of killing process.
- Work as part of a rotating team to ensure all duties and requirements of the department are being carried out. Driving the shunter will be on a rotational basis with the requirement that you will carry out other duties including panel control, strapping and unstrapping trailers, washing and sanitising trailers, this list is not exhaustive and will include additional duties requested by management.
- To carry out regular forklift duties in case of line breakdowns.
- Report all breakdowns immediately to your manager on shift or directly to maintenance.
- Ensure all full/empty trailers are being weighed in/out at all times ensuring scale is at 0 before loading.
- Liaise with weighbridge operative or Process 1 manager over trailer numbers, ensuring correct trailers are being unloaded on correct kill line according to kill schedule.
- Ensure each load of birds had been inspected by onsite VET before unloaded on line.
- Ensure all trailers and modules coming back from farm are being washed and sanitised properly before leaving site.
- Adhere with animal welfare requirements while working with live animals.
- Look for damage on trailers, forklifts and Shunter and report any defects found to the Transport or Process 1 area manager on shift.
- Identify and remove damaged crates and modules not fit for purpose, mark them and leave in designated area.
- Be fully conversant with all operating procedures especially ones related to Health and Safety.
- Check forklifts and shunter units for oil and water on a daily basis to prevent premature breakdowns.
- General housekeeping of Lairage and yard areas.
- Adhere with environmental requirements at all times.
- Any other duties that may be required.
Health and Safety
- Take reasonable care the Health and Safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your actions.
- Work in a safe manner and observe the Company Health and Safety Rules and Procedures.
- Use the protective clothing and equipment provided.
- Report to your Line Manager any incidents that have led to or could have led to injury or an accident or have affected the environment.
- Report all injuries promptly that occur to your self at work and obtain the necessary first aid treatment.
- Cooperate with Managers and other personnel of the Company to achieve a healthy and safe workplace environment.
- Help in the investigation of accidents in order to prevent recurrence.
- Observe the Company personal hygiene requirements.
- Set an example of safe, correct behaviour, particularly to new entrants and young persons.
- Report any hazard / defect you may observe promptly to your immediate line manager.
- Report any shortcomings in systems of work or procedures to your line manager.
- Not to interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health, safety and welfare or yourselves or your work colleagues.
- To comply with safe systems of work at all times
- To advise managers when not trained for tasks you are being asked to carry out.
Any employee breaching employee health and safety responsibilities will be liable for investigation which may result which may result in disciplinary action in accordance with Company’s disciplinary policy.
– Evidence of ability to read and understand English.
– Evidence of numeracy and literacy.
– Good manual dexterity essential.
– Evidence of being able to work unsupervised
– Evidence of being a team member essential.
– Driving licence is essential
Day Shift hours
6am- 6pm on a rotating shift pattern,
Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday one week
and Wednesday, Thursday the following.
6pm- 2.15am Monday- Friday