BSNI is working with Belfast City Council to recruit Priority Waste Driver/Operative .
Main purpose of job
Under the general direction and reporting to the appropriate Area Cleansing, Waste Collection Manager or Operations Supervisor, the post holder will be responsible for:
Removing and transporting priority waste to the designated transfer or disposal site. This work also entails, as required, segregation of waste to specified areas or locations. Examples of priority waste are items that are removed from the general waste stream for safe or special disposal, such as fridge freezers and other items for recycling.
Carrying out priority cleansing duties that will enhance the appearance of the public realm such as street cleansing, land clearance, street washing, cleansing of street furniture, gum removal, graffiti removal, and fly poster removal/obliteration.
General Waste Collection and Cleansing Duties
Driving all appropriate vehicles and trailers and prioritising daily work schedules to ensure efficient completion of daily tasks.
Driver/Operatives will also be required to carry out general waste collection, recycling and street cleansing duties as and when required.
In relation to the above duties, the post holder will be responsible for completing relevant work sheets and associated paperwork.
Summary of responsibilities and personal duties
1. To drive and be responsible for any allocated vehicle and any authorised passengers. To ensure that the vehicle is not overloaded and to safely manoeuvre the vehicle on the daily route.
2. To safely collect and load priority waste, as identified by management, and transport to the designated transfer or disposal site. This includes the cleansing of priority waste as required.
3. To safely carry out priority cleansing, as identified by management, such as street cleansing, land clearance, street washing, street furniture washing, gum removal, graffiti and fly poster removal or obliteration and any other priority cleansing duties which may arise.
4. To work to schedules and rotas and complete all relevant paper work and collate any information as specified by management. To prioritise work for the team, if necessary, on a daily basis within laid down parameters.
5. To wash the vehicle as required, keeping the interior and exterior of the vehicle in a clean and tidy condition.
6. To use any equipment and associated materials that is required in the priority waste cleansing process. Ensuring the safe storage and security of such equipment, that is, hand truck, strapping equipment, power wash, gum machine and generator.
7. To separate the various types of waste and dispose or store according to management instructions.
8. To take part in staff training as required.
9. To adhere to appropriate guidelines: driver daily checks, accident procedure and drivers’ procedures. Adhere to HASAW legislation and appropriate codes of practice. This also covers the wearing of appropriate protective and reflective clothing, safety footwear and other PPE: the safe lifting of heavy objects, recognising hazardous substances and ensuring the safety of the public and other council staff where appropriate.
10. To adhere to drivers’ daily checks and accident, incident, vehicle defect procedures including the completion of all required documentation in an accurate and timely fashion.
11. To report daily to management for instructions, returning all relevant completed paper work.
12. To report to management any accidents, incidents or complaints involving squad members or members of the public.
13. To ensure that work is carried out in an effective manner, ensuring that all spillages and residues are cleaned up and work areas are left in a high standard of cleanliness on completion of operations.
14. To carry out general driver/labourer or operative duties in standard waste collection and street cleansing operations as and when required.
15. To use radio and other telecommunication facilities as required.
16. To undertake any other reasonable requests which may be made from time to time by management. This includes snow clearance and gritting duties before, during and after adverse weather conditions.
17. To ensure that all work is carried out to the required service standards.
18. To carry out the duties of the post in such a manner as to safeguard and enhance the profile of Belfast City Council whilst adhering to the principal of high levels of customer care.
For full JD contact Debbie on 02895219313
BSNI is acting as a recruitment business